The New Year brings in 365 new opportunities, so make the best of this year to focus on becoming a happier and healthier you! Here are 50 lifestyle changes from Thirteen Thoughts that you can start doing today – or to help you to start your own list!
- Drink more water. If you like soda you can first try flavored sparkling water. If you can’t stand plain water, infuse it with fruit and/or herbs.
- Don’t skip breakfast. You’ll be less likely to suffer from low energy levels or binge on something unhealthy later on in the day. I personally don’t like having big breakfast, but I always make sure to have something healthy like overnight oats or a smoothie.
- Snack on berries and almonds. Your nails and hair will thank you.
- Take Omega-3. Omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to improve mood and alleviate depression. There are numerous studies linking anxiety and other mood disorders with low blood levels of omega-3 fats. Low intake of omega-3 is also known to change the functioning of serotonin and dopamine. Bonus? If you suffer from bad PMS and turn quite bitchy (like I do, I’ll admit it!) you’ll find that omega-3 helps with that, too.
- Drink herbal tea. Make it a habit of enjoying your little tea-time- even if it’s just 5-10 minutes in the morning or evening. I love peppermint and raspberry leaf.
- Try to sneak in something green and healthy into your diet, at least once a day. This is how I add more greens to my diet.
- Always have something healthy to snack on, handy.
- While working, or studying, step away from your desk at least once every hour. Take a quick walk around the office, have a light stretch.
- Eat slowly.
- Never go food shopping while hungry. I don’t think I have to explain this one? 🙂
- Laugh often. Don’t ever underestimate the power of a good comedy show or movie, especially when you’re having a crappy day.
- Practice gratitude. Before you go to sleep, think of the best thing that happened to you that day and say “thank you, thank you, thank you!” Trust me, there are great things that happen to you, even during ordinary days. I love practicing gratitude in the morning, as well.
- Be kind. Always. Regardless of the circumstances.
- Create a few morning rituals that you will look forward to, every day.
- Take the stairs. When going shopping, don’t be afraid to park several rows away from the door.
- Spend time in nature. Take long walks.
- Rise early. Think about what you could do with extra 10 minutes in the morning? Not being in the rush while leaving the house, is worth the effort.
- Do something nice for others, on regular basis. Nothing’s better than knowing you’ve put a smile on someone’s face.
- Practice self-care. Always look after yourself.
- Diffuse essential oils– they can help you relax and unwind.
- Never write and send emails or text messages, while angry. If you’re angry with someone, you can let it all out by writing them a message, but instead of sending it, delete it once your anger goes away.
- Remember to recycle.
- Don’t complain. Especially when it comes to things that are out of your control.
- Stop waiting. Don’t spend your life waiting for Friday, for summer, for love. “Right now” is all you’ll ever have.
- Be more mindful.
- Don’t waste your time crying over the past.
- Let go of your need to be perfect.
- Keep track of your goals. Set new ones.
- Do more of what you love. Do you like to cook? Try a new, fun recipe. Do you love animals? Volunteer at a shelter. Do something that you really enjoy, every day. It can be as simple as listening to your favorite album when on your way to work.
- Try new things, often. Do things that scare you- that’s how you grow.
- Judge less.
- Know how to slow down and be present.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Remember that you are unique and nothing can replace you.
- Keep your email inbox organized. Digital mess, still counts as “mess”. 🙂
- Learn to say “no” to things you don’t feel like doing.
- Nourish your relationships.
- Practice positive thinking. Your attitude can make the biggest difference, especially when experiencing something unpleasant.
- Dance more often. Even if it’s just by yourself, in the kitchen.
- Learn how to stop procrastinating. Tackle your most important tasks, first.
- Get more sleep.
- Take a little tech-time-out once in a while. Turn off your phone, the TV and pick up a book or try meditating.
- Start using positive affirmations.
- Don’t ever stop learning.
- Worry less. Don’t waste your time feeling anxious about things that are beyond your control.
- Listen more.
- Edit your life frequently. Get rid of things that don’t serve you and surround yourself only with positive, supportive people.
- Learn to appreciate little things in life. Your life is made up of moments- pay attention to those good, happy, exciting ones.
- Stay curious.
- Once in a while, spoil yourself-even if it’s only a cup of coffee from your favorite place.
- Don’t be afraid to dream big.
Shake up your summer with our new Shed apparel! If you haven't got yours already, stop in to any of our Machine Shed Gift Shops - there are men's and women's sizes available!read more
It's that time of year again - we will be at the Wisconsin State Fair! The fair starts tomorrow and will run until August 13th in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We will be serving your Machine Shed favorites with a fair twist! This year the Machine Shed is serving up Bacon...read more
The Machine Shed is featuring a new sweet treat at the Mississippi Valley State Fair this year - Maple Frosted Candied Bacon Donuts! You won't be able to get enough of these delicious donuts, which are drizzled with a maple glaze and bacon pieces. These tasty treats...read more
The Machine Shed is on the road again this summer and you can find us at EAA's AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin! We will be showcasing our homemade signature breakfast items including the Shed’s Famous Cinnamon Rolls, or you can try our chicken fajita bratwurst or...read more
It's that time of year for family vacations and road trips - and the Machine Shed Gift Shop has just what you need to keep the kids occupied! The gift shop carries anything from lighted spinners by fidZwidZ to "Thinking Putty" by Crazy Aaron's. Make the Machine Shed...read more
Our Bacon Bloody Mary is a staple here at the Machine Shed and we want to give you the tools for you to make your own at home! We are now carrying our own signature line of pickled foods, which would be a perfect addition to your Bacon Bloody Mary! [video width="1920"...read more
We know the suspense has been unbearable – but here is your fourth and FINAL sneak peek of the new Machine Shed menu items! The new menu comes to your Machine Shed location this coming Monday, July 10th – make sure to stop in and feast yourself on these new delicious...read more
Here is your third Machine Shed NEW MENU items sneak peek! We have updated our existing Heartland Combo menu items to include our award-winning Stuffed Roasted Pork Loin, a smaller version of our Parmesan Crusted Pork Loin and two Heartland Delights! Make sure to look...read more
Here is your second sneak peek of the Machine Shed’s new menu! Stay tuned for next week’s preview – you won’t want to miss it! Hand-Breaded Chicken Sandwich Farm Fresh Spinach & Artichoke Dip Farmhouse...read more
The secret is out…..the Machine Shed has a new menu coming out SOON! Here is a sneak peek of some of the new menu items to come – but stayed tuned every week as more photos will be leaked! Southwest Chicken Salad Sautéed Savory Shrimp Chipotle Chicken Avocado...read more