Father’s Day is coming up, Sunday, June 15! Looking for a great gift for Dad? Right now the Machine Shed has a great selection of Craft Beer cookbooks, Drink Local merchandise, bacon merchandise and cooking gear sure to help Dad celebrate right!
Chef Aaron has been busy showcasing our recipes on television around Wisconsin. From The Morning Blend in Milwaukee, to Living with Amy in Appleton. Check out his recipe for Beer Cheese Fondue and make it at home for your next party!
Try out this smoothie, and check back all month for more Dairy Month fun!
Click here to get the recipe!
Our winners for our Beef Month cookbook giveaway are: Chris, Soman, Gail Beck, Rodney Stehn, Joan Riederer, Yvonne Tucker, Amy, and Sheryl Tessier. Please email your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize!
• The United States and Brazil are the top beef producing countries in the world.
• In the United States, Texas has the most beef cows. Iowa ranks 10th in the number of beef cows.
• It takes the leather from 3.8 steers to manufacture the 72 footballs used in the Super Bowl.
• CATTLE outnumber HUMANS in 9 states: Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma and Wyoming.
• Agricultural land provides FOOD and habitat for 75% of the nation’s wildlife.
• Christopher Columbus brought the first cattle to the western hemisphere on his second voyage in 1494.
• 98.3% of U.S. farms are owned by families, family-held corporations or family partnerships.
• Adding lean beef to the most recommended heart-healthy diet can lower heard disease risk by reducing levels of total and LDL “bad” cholesterol.
Having a cookout this Memorial Day? The Iowa Beef Industry Council and The Beef Checkoff Program have a great a recipe to try out on the grill! Citrus-Marinated Beef & Fruit Kabobs! YUM!!!
Total Recipe Time: 40 to 45 minutes
Marinade Time: 15 minutes to 2 hours
1 pound beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 1 inch thick
1 medium orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
4 cups cubed mango, watermelon, peaches and/or plums
1. Grate peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from orange; reserve juice. Combine orange peel, cilantro, paprika, and ground red pepper, if desired, in small bowl. Cut beef Steak into 1-1/4-inch pieces. Place beef and 2-1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Place remaining cilantro mixture and fruit in separate food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bags securely. Marinate beef and fruit in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Soak eight 9-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Thread beef evenly onto four skewers leaving small space between pieces. Thread fruit onto remaining four separate skewers.
3. Place kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill beef kabobs, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 11 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill fruit kabobs 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown, turning once.
4. Season beef with salt, as desired. Drizzle reserved orange juice over fruit kabobs.
Want to win a free beef cookbook? Tell us your favorite beef recipe you make at home! We will randomly select 8 lucky winners to receive a cookbook courtesy of The Beef Checkoff Program and the Iowa Beef Council.
Winners will be announced on May 28!
Follow this link for the recipe: Ranch_Burgers
The Machine Shed has always been dedicated to the American Farmer and serving as much local product as possible. That includes craft beer! Celebrate American Craft Beer Week with us by trying a craft beer at our Machine Shed locations from these breweries:
Davenport: Great River Brewery
Des Moines: Peace Tree Brewing Company
Rockford: Goose Island
Pewaukee: New Glarus, Leinenkugel’s & Capital Brewery
Appleton: New Glarus, Leinekugel’s, Ale Asylum, & Stone Arch Brew House
Lake Elmo: Grain Belt Brewery, Summit Brewing Company