With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, we thought it would be a great idea to make a festive candle to go with the green holiday decorations. In the candle we made, we did several layers of different shades of green – but you could use the same concept with other holidays or just make it one solid color!
What you will need:
-Soy wax chips
-Wax col squares or candle dye
-Mason jar or a glass votive of your choice
-Microwavable measuring cups
1. Begin prepping your glass jar by standing the candle wick in the center and securing it into place by using a clothespin. To do this, slide the clothespin over the wick and rest it on the sides of the glass. Make sure your wick is taller than the container so that it does not get covered with the liquid wax.
2. Place the soy wax chips into your microwaveable measuring cup. Use enough wax so that it fills the desired layer height in your candle container when melted. Microwave the wax 1 minute and stir with a craft stick. Add 3 blocks of the green wax or 6 drops of liquid candle dye. If the wax is not fully melted, continue to microwave it at 30-second intervals until it is completely melted. Add a couple drops of your favorite fragrance oil. Caution: Be careful while handling the measuring cup and wax as they will be very hot.
3. Pour the melted wax into your container. Make sure to avoid pouring it on the side of the glass or directly on the wick. If you get it on the side of the glass, let it cool for a few moments and then scrape it off.
4. Wait for this first layer of the candle to completely cool before starting the next layer. To avoid mixing the colors, wipe the excess wax from the measuring cup with a paper towel while the wax is still warm or use a separate measuring cup for each color. Place the same amount of soy wax chips in the measuring cup and microwave for 1 minute. Stir with a craft stick and add 1-2 blocks of the green wax or 3-4 drops of the liquid candle dye. Continue to microwave the wax at 30-second intervals until it is completely melted. Add a couple more drops of the fragrance oil.
5. Wait 1 minute for the colored wax to slightly cool. Then pour the melted wax on top of your first layer. Again, avoid pouring it on the side of the glass or directly on the wick. Wait for this second layer of the candle to completely cool before starting the next layer. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for your next layers. Once your final layer is completely dry, remove the clothespin and trim the wick to about one-quarter inch using scissors. Enjoy!
In 1978 we opened our first Machine Shed Restaurant on the outskirts of Davenport, Iowa. Today, we currently have 6 Machine Shed locations across the Midwest and we still live by our commitment to honor the American Farmer. We not only value our guests and our patrons over the years, but we think the world of our employees as well.
So we are calling all Shed Heads – we want to hear from you! Although everyone will always be considered party of the Machine Shed family, we are curious to find out where everybody has ended up over the years.
Let us know by commenting below with the Machine Shed location you used to work at, as well as what you are currently doing or where you have turned up.
Valentines Day will be here before you know it and we tried our hand at making some simple breakfast recipes that you can make for your loved ones! If you aren’t familiar with the kitchen and need some help – don’t worry! Stop in at the Machine Shed and let us cook for you and your loved one.
Heart of Bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Lay a long piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet for easy clean up
3. Cut the bacon into 5 inch strips
4. Lay the bacon in a heart shape on the cookie sheet. Make sure to pinch the corners.
5. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until done.
Heart Shaped French Toast Stuffed with Nutella, Strawberries and Whipped cream:
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Thick sliced bread
- Strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- Whipped Cream
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg until well-mixed. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter, a sharp paring knife or kitchen shearers to cut a heart shape out of each piece of bread.
2. Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat. Dip each piece of heart-shaped bread into the egg mixture so the liquid soaks into the bread. Cook the bread for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Remove to a plate and repeat the process until all the bread is cooked.
3. Spread nutella on one slice of cooked bread, then top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream. Repeat with another layer of bread, strawberries, whipped cream and then a final piece of French toast. Dollop a bit of whipped cream on top and serve immediately.
Sweetheart Cinnamon Rolls:
- Store bought cinnamon rolls
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Carefully unroll the dough and shape into a heart. Pinch in the middle and fold over the pinch to make point.
- Place in a pan or cookie sheet. Bake for slightly less time than recommended since they will cook faster with smaller rolls.
- Frost with the provided frosting and then add the sprinkles.
For other great recipes and decorations ideas for the holiday, check out our Machine Shed Valentine’s Day Pinterest board!
It is almost game time and we have some great ideas to throw a touchdown Super Bowl party! Whether you are cheering on the Atlanta Falcons or the New England Patriots (or just there for the party) – make sure to check out our Pinterest board for delicious recipes and festive decorations ideas!
Don’t have time to cook before the big game? The Machine Shed has plenty of catering items to help you with your next tailgate or party!
Make your own framed button heart for Valentine’s Day! It is the perfect gift to give to a loved one, or keep it for yourself and use it as decoration for the holiday! This project is cute, quick and easy to do!
Supplies you will need:
- Frame without glass
- Burlap or desired fabric
- Buttons in the color of your choice
- Ribbon or twine (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Begin by detaching the frame backing. You will then cut a large enough piece of the burlap so that it will wrap around the backing. Hot glue the burlap to the other side.
- Once the burlap is glued, secure the backing back onto the frame with the hot glue gun.
- Next, pick out the buttons you will like to use and lay them down onto the burlap to create an outline of a heart. Once you have the outline of the heart, start gluing the buttons on one by one.
- Continue gluing in buttons within the heart. After you have filled a large portion of the heart, start overlapping to fill in spaces with smaller buttons.
- Once your button heart is complete, you can accessorize it by adding a bow at the top with your twine or ribbon.
Pinterest is the catalog of ideas of all things good. It quite possibly could be everyone’s best friend when it comes to finding recipes, ideas for decorating, DIY projects… you name it and it’s there. However, if you are anything less than perfect like the rest of us, you might have not mastered the directions on the how to’s or the tutorials. Here are some Pinterest fails that we have done ourselves – and some others we found on Pinterest that were just too funny not to share!
Miniature Caramel Apples:
It’s National Soup Month and nothing beats the cold weather quite like a bowl of hot soup. This Beefy Nacho Soup will become one of your family favorites – it’s quick, easy and delicious!
1 pound lean ground beef
1 can tomatoes and green chilies
1 can nacho cheese soup, condensed
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup corn chips
- Cook the ground beef over medium to high heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally until the meat is thoroughly cooked, then drain the grease.
- Add the cooked meat to a 2-quart sauce pan, then stir in remaining ingredients except for the shredded cheese and corn chips. Making sure to stir frequently, cook on medium high for 8 to 12 minutes or until it is thoroughly heated.
- Top individual servings with shredded cheese and corn chips. Makes 4 servings.
This time of year is exciting to have the opportunity to start new beginnings, focus on bettering yourself and to make your New Year resolutions. The problem can be that sticking with your resolutions all year long can be difficult. A few things that can keep you on track is to set realistic goals, share your resolutions with yours and focus on the benefits of achieving your resolutions. We came up with a list of 27 New Years resolutions to do in 2017 to use as your own – or to help you with creating your own!
- Give up bad habits
- Spend more time with family
- Get organized
- Help others
- Exercise and eat more of a healthy diet
- Learn a new skill
- Get out of debt
- Enjoy life
- Be positive and surround yourself with positive people
- Rise above the little things
- Less planning, more doing
- Show more gratitude
- Pick up a new hobby
- Hate less, love more
- Listen more instead of giving your opinion
- Be honest with yourself and others
- Volunteer and give more to charity
- Take time for self care
- Spend more time outside
- Stop procrastinating
- Become more active
- Learn to let go of grudges
- Meet new people
- Reduce stress
- Get more quality sleep
- Be on time
- Do acts of kindness daily
If you aren’t sure what food to serve for your holiday party this New Year’s Eve – make it a ‘Tito’s party! Have all of your favorite chips – Tostitos, Doritos, Fritos, and Cheetos – and of course the dip! Here is a yummy dip from allrecipes that will be sure to satisfy your taste buds – the World’s Best Cream Cheese and Pineapple Dip! For other great tips on how to throw a New Years Eve party your guests won’t forget, check out our Machine Shed Pinterest board!
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 gloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- In a medium bowl. Mix together cream cheese, crushed pineapple, onion powder and garlic. Mix in reserved juice from pineapple as desired. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.
Christmas is right around the corner and if you are like the rest of us, you might not have your Christmas list checked off yet. We want to help make it a little easier for you by providing some great stocking stuffer idea’s from the Jenny Evolution – you will be sure to find something for everyone off of this! If you are looking for other thoughtful ideas, make sure to take a look at our Machine Shed Pinterest board!